The Feng Shui of Spring Cleaning
I never really understood why spring cleaning was such a big deal. When I was a child, every woman I knew kept their home clean on a regular basis and I didn’t see why they had to deep clean every spring. It made no sense to me.
By the time I was a teenager, I didn’t give it much thought. My mother did most of the spring cleaning herself and the few things I was asked to do were minor. Her cleaning plan didn’t affect me much and it had become part of the spring routine.
As an adult, I finally get it! The long days of winter are over. The promises of sunshine, clean air and a fresh start are carried in on the bright spring breeze that fills the house. Our souls are renewed by the literal and symbolic cleaning of our living spaces.
Winter energy begins to feel stagnant after the first of the year. It is stale. The spring energy that briskly moves in becomes a celebration for the soul. It allows us to feel renewed, fresh, rejuvenated and open to new possibilities. On a soul level, spring offers a chance for a new beginning. It carries to power of life – flowers are blooming, trees are blossoming. Our souls are becoming more alive and enlightened.
In my work with clients, I love to see the transformation that starts in the spring. The manifestation of goals and dreams expands drastically this time of year. In fact, I want to name April and May the Law of Attraction months! It’s exciting and amazing to see how plans that have been dormant for months suddenly get the power and energy to become reality. It’s phenomenal!
Here are some things you can do to bring this spring energy into your life and allow your soul to expand:
1. Open the windows and turn on the fans. Get the air moving. This one step is a significant element to get stale energy moving. If possible, do this every morning and evening! Allow the breeze to improve the vibration of your living space (and at work, if possible).
2. Remove clutter. Having excess “stuff” in your environment stops the flow of energy. Feng Shui is based on allowing energy to move easily through a space. If you have items impeding this movement, it will affect you emotionally and physically. It’s a great time to have a yard sale or box things up to give to charity.
3. Spend some time in the sun. Vitamin D levels are often at very low levels this time of year, leaving us feeling tired, lethargic, and sad. Increasing our Vitamin D levels through natural sunlight will drastically change your energy and your lookout. When you feel better physically and emotionally, you naturally want your living space to raise in vibration. You feel better in a clean, organized environment and you’ll have more drive and stamina to clean when you have adequate Vitamin D intake. It will improve all aspects of your life!
4. Use natural substances to clean your home. Chemical cleaners have so many harsh effects, as well as strong fragrances. My favorite cleaner is one part water, one part vinegar and a few drops of essential oils (lemon, cinnamon, geranium and lavender all have disinfecting qualities that will help kill germs). This mixture may be even better at killing germs than some of the popular cleansers sold at your local market. Plus, the cost is substantially less (always a plus in my book)! For more suggestions and ideas, I recommend a fantastic website: http://winemaiden.com/2009/01/29/make-your-own-natural-and-effective-household-cleansers/
5. Diffuse essential oils in your home. Essential oils vibrate at an extremely high level – the higher the vibration, the most positive the effect on your energy, mood and mental clarity. I love to use citrus oils in the spring. There is nothing like the sweet smell of oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit to energize and empower you. Essential oils affect us on every level – physical, mental and spiritual. I recommend oils on a regular basis to my clients because oils help people let go of old hurts, pains and disappointments. That space in a person’s life can than be filled with happiness, joy, confidence, passion, excitement, drive and fulfillment. Diffusing citrus oils in your home will help with disinfecting the air while elevating moods, calming emotions, and strengthening your immune system. I personally use doTerra oils as I feel they are the highest quality and most pure oils on the market. Click here to go to the doTerra site.
I love this time of year! Good luck making this spring a door to an amazing year!
Until next time friends,